Not long ago I shared 30 Lessons from 30 Months Abroad. Lest you think I have it “all figured out,” I give you this:
TRAVEL LESSONS I STILL CAN’T LEARN
- How to pack truly light.
- To buy my plane tickets far enough in advance.
- To really break in my shoes before trekking all over in them.
- That even traveling holds its own comfort zones.
- That cookies don’t travel well. (But I will keep trying. I’m a fighter).
- To always bring a raincoat/umbrella.
- To check the weather ahead of time.
- To research different weather patterns and realize that seasons don’t impact everywhere the same.
- How to keep track of my passport.
- Not to leave things behind at security.
- To get enough cash out.
- To map the route from the airport/station to my accommodation.
- How to strike up a conversation with a stranger. E does this–or the stranger does it first. I’m too shy/awkward most of the time to do it myself.
- That ordering unknown food off the menu will always make things more interesting (and often more delicious).
Well, do you have it all figured out?
See also: How Not to Travel.